Saturday, February 7, 2009

Father-Daughter Dance - An Annual Affair





I like the part when we walk into the restaurant and they both get quiet like they are leading a somber procession, and then all of the men and women a few feet taller round their cheeks and tilt their heads down and look at my girls. Some of them say, "Oh, you are so pretty," and others just smile then look up at one another then back at my girls again. Sometimes they look at me and smile, and it makes me want to cry, because I know this is a night to remember, some series of images that will press a little deeper into my heart than others. Tonight will leave a scar, and I know when I'm an old man, I'll be standing there when some dad ushers his girls into the restaurant, and I'll bow my head too, and grab my chest and smile while I remember that day..one day.